Saturday, May 3, 2014

Cosmetology

                                                   Student Success Story
Throughout school life I was always advised to study something that would provide me with a safe, long-term working career such as business studies. I was told makeup and media would be too risky. It was all about luck, being in the right place at the right time and it was not easy to get into. This advice I took and studied business studies instead then went on to an office job, which is the area of work I have been in now for around 10 years. My love was always makeup. I loved applying it. I loved trying out new items and I loved the products.
I continued to spend all my spare wages on cosmetic products and trying the latest looks. When watching television I would find myself studying people’s makeup, trying to work out how they had applied it. Unfortunately as you get older and get settled into what you know you lose your confidence and feel you are unable to now pursue your dream. Now at 28 I have finally decided to go ahead and train myself in what I love and build my confidence back up, and finally work in makeup.
Due to work commitments, it is not easy to find a cosmetology college course to fit around your working hours, and it is impossible to get a job in makeup without experience, therefore I am completing an ICS Distance Learning BTEC Level 2 Makeup Artist course as a starting point to build up my confidence and skills. While completing this I will continue to search for a work opportunity in makeup. After my course I will then follow with a higher level makeup course and complete a skin care course. I have also written to many places requesting unpaid work experience to just be able to sit, watch and learn to build my knowledge and skills.
Following advice and studying business studies in school has kept me in a job for 10 years and provided a wage and good administrative background but has not fulfilled my need and passion for makeup. I already feel happier even in my early stages of studying makeup and excited for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment